Unfortunately, many have been replaced by newer structures, or have been re-modelled to fit today’s accepted forms of drabness. The metal cornice is embellished with a symbolic arrangement involving the stars and the moon. The Centennial History of Manitoba. By 1911, Hutchings was reportedly worth two million dollars, and this is interesting in light of the fact “that he was required to pay his rent daily in advance before opening his premises for the day”  at the outset of his business career. Postcard view of the Union Bank Building under construction (circa 1903) by George Barrowclough This building was designed by Barber and Barber, and now houses the Civic Employees’ Credit Union and the Good Neighbours Club. Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1970. We thank Rob McInnes and George Penner for providing additional information used here. Catholic church in Winnipeg proper, and for many years boasted the largest Catholic congregation west of the Red River. According to the Tyson sisters, the original ‘light’ or transom above the front door was red in colour. (quite good, supplied much information on 504 Main Street). With his move, he transferred the name of his home to the new $30,000.00 mansion he had built on Wellington Crescent at Park Road. When officially opened on 23 May 1884,  the first floor was originally used by the firm of Carscaden and Peck, “dealers in clothing, furnishing goods, hats, caps, and buffalo robes. One does not know if Innes left here a wealthy man or a poor one, but the house at 40 Ellen remains as a memorial to the “boom” of ninety years ago. Once one of Winnipeg’s most beautiful homes, it is in fair condition despite constant abuse.
The first is that this particular area is no longer a prime business location. Though modernized inside the four stone walls, the exterior has been kept very much in its original state. Here is a picture of the place where I am receiving some of my education. Originally built by a man named John Cope during 1883, it was the home of a brother of A. J. Andrews, a mayor of Winnipeg during the 1890s. Along Wellington Crescent, there are several homes which are misnamed by the local residents as the “Fortune House.” This large stone and stucco building with the half-timbering over the upper levels, was the last home of Mark Fortune. According to the system of lots in that area, Fairchild must have built his home at the rear of a York Avenue site. Mitchell entered into public life a year later, when he was elected as the MLA for Winnipeg North. T. Ritchie, Canada Builds - 1667-1967, (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1967), pp. James T. Gordon had arrived in Manitoba in 1876, coming for the purpose of farming. The plan of Somerset is that of the ten-room, three-storey school house with an assembly hall in the basement. Being outside of the boundary, the Fortune house has been divided into suites and its original interior is completely destroyed. It remained that way until the Disraeli Freeway was put through its site.
The motif of the ground floor is that of vermiculated stone. The estimated cost of this building in 1900, was approximately $7,300.00. All rights reserved. This usually occurred when the occupant decided that the colour scheme was out-of-date. The true elements of our history lie not in the beer garden or the “Fort Apache” complex which are planned for 1974. This trim, two and one-half storey house is of the popular tower style found in Winnipeg between the middle 1890s and 1910. But the actions of time and owners have taken their toll.
Souvenir of the City of Winnipeg, Presented to the Members of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. This situation continued until the old building was razed for the construction of the Clements Block in 1884. Both Broadway and Main Street can no longer be considered as prime residential streets.
At that time, this area of the city was the “Icelandic” section. The covering of the walls in ship-lap. The year 1897 also marked the twentieth anniversary of Bawlf’s arrival in Winnipeg. At the time of the opening of this building, the “Y” had been established in Winnipeg seven years, having started “under the best auspices.” . 2 vol. For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster. 13. Ten Years in Winnipeg.
V. 2. Seven Oaks House Museum in summer with the garden in full bloom.
It was consecrated on 4 August 1881.
The rather plain, though pleasingly simple-looking church had its facade redesigned by Samuel Hooper in 1896, with corbelling and an off-centre bell-tower being added. (Winnipeg: Manitoba Association of Architects, May. Ritchie, T. Canada Builds, 1867-1967. What to do: Housed in the oldest building in Winnipeg, the Le Musee de St. Boniface Museum is a great place to know more about Western Canada’s French-Canadian and Métis heritage. Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Winnipeg: Bishop Co., September, 1884. If you find any such errors, please inform us, indicating the document name and error.